Monday, July 30, 2012

'The Help'

This was going to be about nothing tonight, but I just got done watching the movie, 'The Help.'  Do you remember that I read that book and told you to read it?  See, everybody should read that book.  It's disturbing and kind of funny.  That's a good way to expose evil, to put in some humor, some irony.  I wish I could say that it's gone, those feelings people have of needing to be cruel to other races.  It's still here.  It exists in the state I grew up in.  It exists in this state, only here I hear more about people from Mexico being maligned than Black.  Racism exists wherever you live.  Who is it where you live that is treated as inferior?  Not as clean? Not as hard-working?

I have to admit to you that I don't know enough about all the oppression, the civil wars, the genocides around the world to be able to carry on a knowledgeable conversation about the atrocities.  My mind just can't wrap itself around the way it happens over and over and over.  I just know that people are no less violent and phobic than they were in the 1950s and 1960s when the civil rights movement was at high tide in the United States.  They just hide it more carefully. It sometimes seems as if we didn't learn a thing. 

Why is that? 

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment