Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Running Amok

I wanted to take tonight off from writing to you.  I'm tired  Even my keyboard is tired, missing bunches of notes, I mean keys.  See what I mean?

I wanted to tell you that I didn't sleep well last night, but that is so boring, I could go to sleep just listening to myself.  I wanted to tell you that I woke up an hour and a half before I needed to get up this morning.  What the heck is that?  I mean, if I was tired, why the hell can't I sleep?

I wanted to tell you how I didn't bring my bathing suit to the lake today and I wished that I had.  I'm not one of those people who can feel good being at the lake if I don't have my bathing suit.  Water is a balm.  Then, I felt like a loon on wheels after I had to chase the dog around for a while.  First, he leaped over a couple of sun bathers as he chased another dog.  I can see that.  I really can.  I did see that.  Then, Teddy ran over to an old lady who was sitting on a blanket and shook just after he'd gotten out of the water.  How rude.  He rolled in goose poop which turned his neck a pretty shade of green and threatened to lean against two or three kids who were eating his favorite food, peanut butter.  At least he didn't steal anything today.  Last week, he stole a cookie from a toddler at the dog park.  At least he didn't knock anyone over this time.  He knocks someone over once a week.  Usually, it's me, though I've learned to bend my knees. 

Here' a question - why do dogs that are actually standing in water shake?  It makes a mess and accomplishes nothing.  Teddy did that to me three times while I stood in knee deep water. 

Then, when I tried to keep him nearby to protect the old lady who didn't like him, thinking he might manage off leash since it was allowed, he ran away from me as if he were playing a good game of keep-away.  Now that is just uncalled for.  Meanwhile, the kids swam along the shore where we could only see them every few hundred feet.  Then they parked on a rock just out of sight.  Drove us mothers nuts when we suddenly couldn't hear their voices or any splashing.  Did they want us to become insane?  Too late.

 I'd forgotten my chair.  What good is an old lady by the lakeside without her chair?  If I'm going to miss having my bathing suit, to skip the swimming, then I need the damn chair, a cigarette, and a cup of coffee in my hands.  Sorry, that's how I remember a half a dozen women who never once wore bathing suits when we went camping when I was a kid.  These women sat for hours in the blazing sun, smoking their brands, drinking pot after pot of coffee, and gossiping about the whole small town they had left behind.

One of the big topics of conversation was Doc, who never minded refilling any prescription and left at least a dozen townsfolk hooked on painkillers.  Doc was a sucker for a pretty face too.  Lots of those townsfolk who were drugged were pretty women who had suffered either a difficult childbirth, a broken bone, or appendicitis.  I wouldn't have been surprised if at least one or two of the women sitting at the lakeside weren't also refilling their own prescriptions.  Oh, the lives we lead, the lies we tell.

Right now, my feet are killing me.  Okay, it didn't help that I wore an old pair of sandals that Nick's been borrowing to see if I still like them and want to steal back from him.  Nope.  They're done for.  Nick can have them and when he's done with them, they're toast.  Okay, well maybe I'll donate them instead of throwing them out because they still look good.  Next time instead of standing around, maybe I'll bring my chair, coffee, and some juicy stories to tell. 

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment