Saturday, July 27, 2013

There Are No Breaks

Is it cruel to travel with a sick boy because you don't want to lose your vacation?

It feels like it, though the traveling hasn't yet begun and said boy went to the lake today and swam as if he were fine. I'm hoping decongestant will be enough.

Can we just catch a break?

Whenever I say that, Mike says, "There are no breaks."

You're not kidding.

I got rear-ended today in my car. Oh, it wasn't too hard a hit, but I'm sore anyway. I'm taking Advil but I don't intend to turn in the woman who hit me.

She was very apologetic, very sweet. I liked her immediately and told her that if I didn't have problems with my neck, I'd skip talking to my insurance company. I drove down the road just a little bit and I called Mike. I needed time to catch my breath and slow my heart rate. I cried on the phone, but felt better as I talked to him. I tested out my neck as we talked, feeling some soreness there. Was that new or just my usual soreness? Mike said I should take some Advil. He also said I needed to call the insurance representative and ask them about the whole thing, whether I needed to file a police report in case my neck began to hurt more tomorrow. He wanted to know if the bumper would need to be repaired even if it looked okay. So, I called my insurance guy. We've been with the same company, Farmers, since we moved here in 1991. I'm always the one who talks to him.

I have to tell you that I really like this guy. We've talked about details like minimums, discounts, new-old cars and stuff like that. He's a nice guy. He's good at what he does. Today, he told me that, as a representative, he needed to tell me to make a claim any time I get hit. Then, he said that as a human being, he agreed with me that I shouldn't file a claim against this nice woman if I didn't have to. Her insurance would go up. She might even get a ticket. By the time I got off the phone with him, my heart rate had settled down and the Advil had taken effect.

Six and a half hours later, I could tell that the Advil had worn off, but I'd gone to the lake, reveled in the peace I can find amid chattering people, and come home to pack.

Yes, this is a big vacation. I want it. I need it. My friends tell me that I'm overdue.

And now Nick is a little bit sick. I'm going to dope him up with decongestant. My neck is sore. I'm taking Advil, and we're going, damn it! Maybe the sunshine will dry up Nick's cold and maybe I'll get a massage. It could still be a good vacation.

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment