Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Nook

I've come to terms with the twenty-first century. I am now the proud owner of a Nook ereader.

And.

I've learned, sort of, to download books to it from the library.

That seems like a miracle. See, I almost feel as though I have two new books on my Nook by accident. I did it myself. I really did. Will I remember how to do it tomorrow? Who knows? I'm not exactly sure how they got there.

I can now choose a book from the library at home at 2:46 am. I can now read in the living room when the guys want to sit in the dark and play video games. I am reading a physical book from the library, but I also have it on my Nook.

Now, I want one of those little book covers for my Nook. I don't want it to get messed up after all. I don't want it to get dust in its crevices from hanging about in my pockets.

It blinks a lot. Maybe it's like a new pet, not sure of its place in its new home, awakened for the first time to my face, uncertain of it's safety. Will that dog chew on it? Will the cat knock it off the table. It thought it was allowed on the table. Will the boy spill water on it and send it to eHeaven? Does it even have a name?

When he was little, Nick named all of our cars. He also decided that we all had the same middle name he had. I'm surprised the cars didn't also have his middle name too.

You might wonder, then, what I'm reading on my Nook. 'My Name is Mina' by David Almond and 'Remembrances of Things Paris' by Ruth Reichl. Maybe I'll let you know what I think of them. Maybe I'll forget. Or worse, maybe I won't like the books. I hate putting too much negative stuff out there. There's enough negative stuff out there. I don't think I'll have to worry about that.

Almond's book has already drawn me in. This is a young adult book about a girl writing in her journal while the rest of the world sleeps. It reminds me of what I wrote in my journal when I was just thirteen. Oh, you do not want to read that journal. It was just mindless drivel. Almond's book, so far, has given up that feeling of being a girl randomly writing in her journal without actually reproducing the drivel that most of the actual journals contain.

And Reichl's book? I haven't read a word yet. But I loved 'Tender at the Bone' and 'Comfort Me with Apples.' How can you go wrong being naturally funny and writing about food. I love reading about food.

The thing that I hope happens, though, is that my Nook becomes transparent to the process. It's easy enough to read what I have there. I just hope I don't end up here, telling you about how I forgot to 'turn in' a borrowed downloaded book and ended up owing $182.50 from five years of library fines. I'm sure I'll manage something strange, so maybe I'll have a story to tell you.

I hope not.

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment