Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Little Left-Out

I hate writing about when I have a cold.  You really don't want to hear me whine about it, especially how I wasted a beautiful weekend sleeping on the couch.  Here's what my family did without me. 

Nick had a fasting blood draw on Saturday morning.  He's been really tired, I mean really tired, so we figured it was time to see the doctor.  So before I even got up, Mike trundled him off along with a plastic container of cereal and a thermos of milk.  Nick really loves his Corn Chex.  They told me that the vampire, also called a phlebotomist, took six vials of blood.  The doctor is checking for lots of things: thyroid issues, insulin resistance, CBC indicating infection or anemia, and Celiac disease.  Any of these would be a bummer, but we'd really like our active and enthusiastic boy back.  After that, they went to the toy store.  Years ago, whenever Nickie got a shot, I took him to the toy store afterward to try to make it easier, so the tradition has held even though it isn't as hard for him now.  He got some action figure from a video game he likes to play.  Also, they threw away Taco Time wrappers when they got home.

Then, yesterday afternoon, Mike and Nick sold the last of the baked goods at the Holiday Bazaar.  That's such a cheerful event and the bake sale table is right by the door.  Nick said he opened the door for about a hundred people.  There's live music, tons of my friends hanging around, and art.  Oh man, I love going to see what the artisans have made that's new this year.  I knew about the hand-felted penguins, but I really wanted to see the knitted hat that looked like a curly blonde wig.  After that, they went to the choir concert at the elementary school where Adrian was singing and over to the tree-lighting ceremony.  Fall City looks really pretty with all of the cherry trees lit and decorated along the river. 

Today, the two of them went to church without me.  Nick is going to be Jesus in the Christmas pageant.  I think they picked him for that because of his long hair.  Jesus, really?  Don't tell Nick I said that.  He really is a good kid.  Afterward, they handed out popcorn that Nick sold for the Cub Scouts.  One woman has slipped out on us three weeks in a row.  She did this last year too.  Then people oohed and ahhed over Teddy when they pulled him out of the car for a mini-walk.

This afternoon, Mike and Nick headed over to Tolt MacDonald Park where they were meeting two of the boys in the Cub Scout Den who hadn't finished all their requirements for their Arrow of Light Award that will be given next Friday.  Now, they made hot chocolate and cider, packed for a trip, put together a dehydrated meal, and let the dogs play.  They took Teddy along with them and another of the boys brought his dog too.  When they all walked back into the house at the end of the day, Teddy walked slowly up the stairs and jumped right on top of two pillows on the couch and fell asleep.  He looked like the princess and the pea. 

What did I do this weekend?  I slept, blew my nose a lot, washed my hands, and tried not to touch anything that either Mike or Nick was going to use. Mostly, I tried not to feel left out.

Thank you for listening, jb 

No comments:

Post a Comment