Monday, December 26, 2011

Recovering from Christmas Eve

Ho! Ho!

Christmas is almost over. Today, we had a sweet and quiet celebration at home.

Yesterday, however, we had tried to go for a walk and our sweet Teddy got bitten by a German Shepherd. His ear was torn through in a couple of places. Oh, I have to tell you it was awful hearing him shriek and believing, even for a moment, that I was listening to my dog being killed. There was blood everywhere. After we got him home and cleaned up, we were still pretty shaken up.

Can you believe I had to pull it together to go to church and sing 'Oh Holy Night?' I did it too. I figured it couldn't be any harder than singing 'Amazing Grace' at my grandma's funeral. It wasn't.

I sang from the balcony. The nice thing about that was that I could sit up there alone for the service and cry without anyone seeing me. I sang well enough, but I started too low and ended up singing in the tenor registers instead of my usual soprano. Ah well, there's always next year. It helped to go, even though it was a really tough transition.

When I got home, Mike and Nick were snuggled up on the couch with Teddy who looked thoroughly relaxed, despite the cone on his head and his bloody ear. Today, we were calling him 'Teddy the Destroyer' because of the way he snowplowed through the living room using that cone. It looked like he was actually enjoying using it to tease the cats.

Still, Teddy showed some anxiety at the end of the day, howling when we left him alone for just a little while. He also did this yelping, biting thing on his back when I tried to get him to go somewhere he didn't want to go. Oh man, I don't want to coddle that into a habit. It was hard to shoot him with the water bottle today, but we had to a couple of times. I was reluctant for him to meet any dogs on a trail today, so the lack of exercise didn't help.

Tomorrow will be a good day for a nice long walk. Did I tell you that I just love the day after Christmas?

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment