Friday, December 16, 2011

Joyful Noise

Call me crazy, but I love the sound of three boys running through my house, screaming their heads off.  Some people hate that.  As I hang out in my kitchen, I can tell exactly what they're doing and where they are.  I know if they're having fun or getting bored.  I can even tell when they're starting to get hungry.  I only worry when they start to get quiet.  When the kids start whispering, I start wondering if they're up to something they shouldn't be doing.

Today, Nick and Adrian had another friend, Jack, come over.  It was great because they were so excited, it was as if we were having a real party.  So, I put out cookies that Mike's sister sent from Pennsylvania.  People, do not send cookies across the country!  You can't imagine what they look like when they arrive.  Crumbles.  Still, ten year old boys don't care if they're eating crumbles. 

Yes, I even allowed them to have those tiny ice creams that Haagen Dazs makes, the single servings.  One of those things looks like a mini-me of a pint of ice cream. It's so cute!   Did I put out anything healthy?  Not this time.  It felt like a party, so I let it be a party. 

After a wicked Nerf war, we went around picking up bullets so the cat wouldn't get a chance to leave some of them in the litter box for us.  The battle was kids against adults, since Mike came home from work just as we were gearing up.  Mike and I took the stairs and charged up.  I shot everyone at least once, got wounded trying to gather ammo in the field, but in the end, the kids won anyway.  The kids always seem to win. 

Now, they're playing video games.  This is gaming at it's best, two people playing and the rest of them, Mike included yelling out helpful and sometimes not so helpful instructions.  Nick sat and poked Jack with the straw end of his Harry Potter broom for a bit so when it was Nick's turn to play, Jack returned the favor, just a little, so he could see what it felt like.  I like that, for the most part, they monitor themselves and I don't have to step in to make them stop the way I used to when they were in kindergarten.  These are good boys. 

I never did get Jack to eat anything healthy.  I hope his mom wasn't depending on him having dinner with two servings of vegetables or anything.  Cookies and ice cream.  The chicken fricassee isn't quite done and I have to stop over at the market and pick up some frozen peas since I dug through both freezers and couldn't find any.

Here's a couple of lines I heard the boys yell:

"Ran into a rock! I'm done."

"There's blue blood on Uranus."  They're playing against the Navi on the Avatar game.  Does that explain any of that?  Well, they are ten year old boys, after all.

"Dude, we have this place in the bag right now.  Don't tell me I suck.  I'm the Commander!  Woo hoo!" 

I hate to put an end to this, but I don't want Jack to get into trouble for being late.  Let the party evacuate to the car so we can drive Jack home and take Adrian to meet his mom for the hand off.  Adrian is going out for dinner. 

Tomorrow, they slumber party.  Boys call it a sleep-over, but it's the same thing, playing hard, talking a lot, eating junk, and staying up late.  It'll just be Nick and Adrian this time, but the Nerf battle will rage, sugar will be eaten, and kids and the man will yell at video game designers.  I'll be the one who has to go into their room near midnight and tell them nine times to be quiet and go to sleep.  They might not, but their noise will be sweet, nevertheless.

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment