Friday, December 23, 2011

Getting Christmas

It's almost Christmas eve.  Today, after what seemed long delays for one silly thing or the other, we finally took the boys out for some fun.  I had had a difficult morning, still grappling with the idea that someone has stolen so many of my words along with my computer and broken so much trust along with my car window. 

By the time we got our act together, it was too late to get reservations for lunch at the Space Needle.  Adrian has never eaten there or experienced the joys of leaving notes on the railing where they ease away from you and come around from the other direction about 45 minutes later with answers scrawled on them by various other customers.  We'll go there next week, maybe with his family, and then we can take our time.  The boys also wanted to go swimming, but Adrian couldn't find his swim suit in the mess he calls his bedroom.  We ended up going to one of those rare parks with a nice trail and a short zip line on the playground.  Mike can still swing the boys back to get their speed going and the boys screamed with joy.  They were having so much fun, a line of children formed.  I could see that one boy wanted that speed and with every turn, he got a running start from further back than before.  While the guys were playing, I took out my iPhone and found out that there's a big zip line on Camano Island.  I wonder if we could go there next week too!  Oh man, I so want to do that for Christmas!

Later, Nick said he wanted to take a walk and the guys turned it into a mission.  Mike has these boyish ways to make schlepping around more fun.  This time, Mike was the President while I played a very dopey First Lady who seemed to be more interested in clothes than safety.  Nick and Adrian were a SWAT team deployed to get the President to safety.  In the end, I played a double-agent and seized the President and managed him so that I could control his brain, thus controlling the world.  By then, my Christmas spirit had almost returned to near previous levels.  When we dropped Nick off at karate and headed over to the Tree Top Toys to look for stocking stuffers, I was hooked and whistling carols as we shopped. 

We found a toy that lights up and whistles when your body completes the circuit.  We got those paper and plastic lenses that make the Christmas lights say 'Noel' when you look through them.  We bought a pair of foam swords.  Big stocking stuffer!  They really do have more interesting things than your usual department store.  Plus, they wrapped stuff for us. 

Tomorrow, I'm going to be with my best friend for our traditional coffee or rollerblading, depending on how we feel.  Then later, I sing 'Oh Holy Night' at church.  I don't get as nervous as I used to.  This time, I want to sing from the balcony so that the music wafts down over people's heads.  I've been practicing, but I never seem to relax enough to noodle around during the real things like I do when I'm at home.  Maybe singing at home is the real thing.  We really have needed some Christmas spirit around here, so I know that listening to Mike's warm voice humming carols helps.  I like to think I add to that when I sing too.

Playing in the fresh air helps, the music helps, the company I'm with helps.  Peace and joy just may have a chance to return in time this year.  Have a lovely Christmas!

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment