Saturday, July 30, 2011

Shish Kabob for Dinner

Sometimes making and eating dinner can be so satisfying.  I prepared kabobs tonight while listening to the second book in Anthony Horowitz's Raven's Gate series, 'Evil Star.'  I know that it was written for kids, but I love it anyway.  It reads like an action flick and I really like the characters.

Shish kabob must be a meal of ancient origins. It makes me think of sitting around a campfire to which everyone has contributed a bit of their best, caught or gathered. The joy of cooking shish kabob is that you can use almost anything you can skewer.   Well actually, I also have metal baskets that I can pack with things that I can't skewer.

Tonight, I cut up big chunks of zucchini, yellow squash, star squash, walla walla sweet onions, brown mushrooms, red potatoes, sword fish, and kielbasa.  I seasoned and buttered the red potatoes and threw them into the oven to cook up ahead, then I coated the swordfish in a paprika rub that I bought.  It's called San Francisco Bay Blend Organic Seasoning.  It contained mostly dry mustard, paprika, garlic and onion powder, and sea salt.  I could have made that myself, but why? 
I skewered whole cherry tomatoes, shrimp, and the rest of the lot alternating them so their flavors would mix and it looked pretty.  I should have cooked the onion a little beforehand, but it wasn't bad eating it crunchy.  I also realized that I should have sprayed oil on my skewers and especially my metal baskets.  The baskets are better for the tomatoes which fall off the skewers or squash when you try to take them off the skewer, squirting juice and seeds all over.  I made the mistake of putting a tomato at the end of one of my skewers and lost its sweet goodness in the bowels of the barbecue.
Dinner was delicious!  I could have used lemon juice or barbecue sauce, but I forgot. I could have used an entirely different set of vegetables, pineapple or other fruit, or used steak instead of seafood.  I could have used any number of barbecue sauces. The possibilities are endless.  Last week, Mike had the Cub Scouts making their own shish kabobs.  He bought meatballs, kielbasa, and chicken tenders to put between the vegetables so there was no accidentally raw meat.  The boys loved it and the parents were surprised at what they were willing to eat.
Tonight, Nick ate everything on his plate, vegetables and all. I've read that if you eat natural foods and your plate is colorful, you're getting a good variety of vitamins. Our plates were really very colorful.  I love eating beautiful food.   Now, aren't you hungry too?

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment