Thursday, July 14, 2011

Lights Out at Camp Brinkley

I feel like the last one here in our pack to be done with all of the zipping and adjusting for the night. Zippers and Velcro are not quiet. I am finally snuggled in and can listen to the sounds. We're close to the lake, so there are bullfrogs singing. They sound like donkeys braying. A fire in the nearest Adirondack is crackling. It's a nice sound, but I'm not sure the kids need the extra heat even though the buildings are open on one side.

It rained today and little bugs are congregating under my tarp. I'll use the bug net on my bivy sack tonight.

I can hear crickets even though summer's far from over and I smell wet canvas from Nick and Mike's tent in front of me. Nick was so tired he fell right to sleep. I hope Mike will sleep too. If all the walking won't do the job, then maybe the early-morning plunge into the cold lake might have helped. I took the test too and was out of breath the whole way from the first gasp when I jumped in. It was about sixty-five today, not the best weather for swimming. Still, I thought I'd take the test as support for Nickie who is very proud that he passed the swimmer level. Mike said the same thing so he took the plunge too.  The things you do for your kids ...

Now, I can hear that the guy one tent over is snoring. It isn't too loud. I don't hear Mike yet. I hope I will.

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment