Friday, July 1, 2011

Growing Up or Growing Old?

So why is it that kids have all the fun and parents aren't supposed to noodle around in the pool?  We're supposed to sit beside the pool with a book or perhaps swim laps while the kids do back flips and play underwater tricks and stand on their hands.

Why is it that, after getting all of the bikes on the trucks, I'm stuck either doing a boring power walk with a mom who doesn't like biking or we have to sit on picnic table and chat?  I'm really tired of chatting.  I want to see if I can go so fast it's like flying. 

Why is it that you can only run and skip with your grocery cart when you've got a kid in the basket?  I'm supposed to be serious and walk sedately with my cart. 

Lately, I haven't spent nearly enough time with my friend, Susie, who likes rollerblading, hiking, cross-country skiing, and kayaking. We have a New Year's rollerblading tradition of Christmas caroling on Christmas eve on the paved trail by the slough.  Sometimes there's too much snow.  Sometimes, it's too cold and we postpone to New Year's Eve.  We didn't get to go this past Christmas because of snow and then she had a bad cold on New Year's.  I'm kind of afraid of being on my Rollerblades since Nick grew out of his jogger stroller, so I told her I didn't mind.  The jogger stroller was so solid to hold onto when I wasn't well balanced on my skates.  I am 51 years old after all. 

But I miss Susie.  If she said we'd get on bikes, we'd ride as fast as the wind.  She might do back flips in the pool with me, and if we were grocery shopping, she'd skip alongside me in the parking lot, cart or no cart.

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment