Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Doing Nothing All Day

So, am I crazy?  I'm letting the boys do absolutely nothing today.  It's gorgeous outside, though Mike said it's really hot in town.  It's cool in here.  Having a house deep in the forest does that for you.  If it gets really hot and we're not going anywhere, we can go downstairs where it's a constant 65 degrees.  So far, I'm cool enough.  I just took my hoodie off and had been snuggled up on the couch with a blanket and a book before I got up.  Can you believe I'm reading another Katie MacAlister novel?  I just love that woman's books.  It's candy.  This one is one of her older ones, 'A Girl's Guide to Vampires.'  I'm nearly at the end and still enjoying it.

I know I should just tell the boys to turn the video games off, but they've had no time to make those decisions for themselves lately.  We've been on the run from one fun and energetic event to the next.  I tried to tell them that they needed to get some exercise, but I'm not looking forward to the hot and sweaty either.  Even though it seems a waste of an amazing day, I'm going to let it go.  If they start to argue over the games which they do when they're bored, I'll set them up playing war with their squirt guns or washing the car with lots of bubbles.  I miss the days with Nickie when all I had to do was fill the big old tin tub full of water and set out the sun tea to brew.  He'd sit in that tub full of water with his Star Wars toys for hours while I fetched snacks for him and soaked my feet in between.

They've turned off the video games by themselves! Yay!  Now, we'll see if we can get them outside and playing in the water. 

Can you tell that I like to play in the water?  I just spent twenty minutes flushing out the tin planter on the deck.  A couple of years ago, the plant in it died.  After a couple of rains, I saw that the chickadees liked to cling to the dead stick and wait in line to take a bath in the shallow pool of water.  I've been filling it ever since, occasionally flushing the dead leaves and algae out of it. They were very excited and made a lot of noise as I put fresh cool water in their tub.  I love watching them line up for their turn.  Chickadees seem so civilized, but they're not.  Back before we had rodent problems, I used to feed them.  They got into the habit of chattering at me and pecking on the window whenever their feeder was empty. They even pecked at Adrian's window.  They are just little pigs with wings, but I like them.

So, the verdict was that the boys needed to build a large play fort in the living room.  They've taken all of my clothes pins, pillows, blankets, and chairs except the one I'm weighing down myself.  They're dressed in normal regalia.



They must be tired because they're playing at going to sleep.  Ha!  That's what biking, tennis, swimming, and Wild Waves will do for you.  Maybe we'll take a sunset bike ride when Mike gets home from work.

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment