Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Curing My Reluctant Reader

I'm always on the lookout books my boy would enjoy reading. After all the pressure from school, he Nick has become what they call 'a reluctant reader.'. It didn't have to be this way. He loves stories. Either Mike or I have read to him before bed almost every night since he was born. He says he wants to be grown up, but he can't sleep without his story.

School hasn't changed that, but he started slowly in school. They got all fired up about it and we pushed Nick and now he doesn't like to read. If there was ever a time I would like to go back in time and change something, it would be this. I would not have pushed Nick. I would have spent a little more time sitting to read with him and I would have told Nick to relax, that the reading would come. Oh, hindsight.

So now, Nick has a few books he has liked: the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, 'Into the Wild,' the first in the series about cat warriors, Eragon, and the Percy Jackson books.

Right now I'm listening to 'Evil Star,' the second book in Anthony Horowitz's Raven's Gate books. I also grabbed a book Nick gave me before we went to camp, 'Point Blank,' also by Horowitz. Sometimes Nick gives me things he doesn't really want. Here's my problem -I'm trying to stop reading this book so I can read it with Nick when we get done with our current book. I think I'll end up reading lots of Anthony Horowitz in the next few weeks.

And I'm hoping that if anyone can undo the damage I've done to create my reluctant reader, maybe Horowitz can.

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment