Friday, May 23, 2014

The Limitations of Our Sense of Time

As I sat at my computer today, Mike pointed out of my dirty, second-floor window. "Look, it's a hummingbird flying between my Japanese maple and the western redcedar!" It wasn't flying back and forth between the trees the way most birds would, but it was it was hovering, backing up, flying sideways, and hovering again. When it was hovering, I could barely tell that it was tiny, about three inches long, a pale green, and had a black beak and a red patch at its throat. Mike looked at me squinting at the bird.

"You might be able to see it better if you took a picture. The camera's already out," Mike said. I hadn't thought of that. I'd have to wash the window then. Now, that's a good reason to wash a window, though I'd hate to disturb the hummingbird if it had a nest in the area. Maybe it wouldn't mind.

I tell you, Mike and I had to stare intently because even though the hummingbird hung in midair, it stopped for the briefest of moments so that it was hard to tell what it looked like once my eyes located it again. Some things in this life happen in a different sense of time and a hummingbird's life is one. It's not like a tree, whose growth is so slow as to seem static, but it was so close to what I could see, that it frustrated my eye.

I love when I realize that time moves differently for other creatures on this earth. Shoot, time moves in a vastly different way for the universe. Try to imagine a light year. Just try.

You can't do it, can you? Not really.

Think about it, life could be folded into these different senses of time that we can't perceive, like the hummingbirds and the trees. Our universe just might be teeming with life and we're too myopic within time to see. 

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment