Saturday, May 3, 2014

Dreading Home Improvements

Today, I finally packed up a bunch of boxes so that I can get new flooring in half my house. The other half will be a mess to try to redo, but for now, we're getting new floors in the areas we don't use as often and where the furniture is less substantial. No piano, no heavy couch, and no recliner.

Oh, who am I kidding? It's going to be a pain in the butt to move the rest of the crap we have in there. Literally. That means that by the time I've moved forty boxes of books, a fouton, three bookshelves, two filing cabinets, a large non-flat screen television, an oven, a freezer, a queen-sized bed and two desks, my lower back is going to be completely miserable. Crap! My back already hurts and I've only moved fifteen boxes into our new storage unit. Plus, I'm having to move a lot of junk we're throwing out. Last week, I donated two truckloads of stuff to the thrift store. Those people love me.

Am I complaining too much?

Sorry.

I'm not even looking forward to getting the new flooring. You might wonder why not. Well, I have a problem. People who do work on my house always seem to come and damage something else when they're doing the work, or they cut corners and I don't like cut corners. If I'm paying for it to look like the photos they sent, I want it to look like the photos they sent when they leave. If I get a new roof and they've destroyed a retaining wall in the process, that pisses me off. I'm getting used to it, but it still pisses me off. That retaining wall was busted twenty years ago and it still pisses me off when I think about it. They tried to tell me it was an old wall, but my husband had built the wall the year before. Moss grows very quickly around here. It does. So, I'm stuck with the problem that everybody wants to get paid, but they don't want to do the work.

And I hate having to negotiate with these guys when they screw up. Notice I said 'when' not 'if.' I hate it. I do it because I have to do it, but it's like fingernails on a blackboard, like sitting in a new car dealer's showroom when your car just smoked, like getting a root canal without enough Novocaine.

I just wish I could get people to do the flooring that I can trust. I'll look at the reviews, but I'll still run into trouble. I just know it.

Hell, it will look better when they're done, even when they do screw it up. Maybe that will be a consolation.

I'll write funner stuff next time. I promise. Notice, I didn't send you any pictures and I didn't sign a contract. I'm not likely to knock down your retaining wall while I'm doing crappy work though, huh?

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment