Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Sore Feet, Snarky Computers, and Cash

It was another busy day.  I ...

....

I can't remember everything I did today.  I know I fell asleep this afternoon, but to my credit, it was after I got a cortisone shot in each foot.  Ouch!  This is a nasty place for shots, but I had been hobbling around and needed it.  At least the podiatrist said she could see my problem and she'd get me feeling better soon.

More shoes!

I've been buying shoes like they're going out of style.  Well, none of the shoes I bought were actually stylish.  While I was at the podiatrist's office, I was waiting so I checked out my Facebook friends and one of them posted these 'shoes.'  My podiatrist loved them.  Not!  Since June, I've bought six pair of shoes, all hikers and tennies, in an attempt at finding something that will solve the problem with my crazy sore feet.  Walking two to six miles on feet that hurt every other day has just done me in.  Last week, I didn't even walk at all.  I just went to the off leash areas and let Teddy run.  That's not good for me at all, now is it?

Now, I get to buy another pair of shoes.  And orthotics.  I guess orthotics aren't just for geriatrics any more.  No, I'm not geriatric yet.  Who said that?

I also spent an hour and a half on the phone with a guy from Dell Computers.  I'm pretty sure he was in India and I didn't understand him very well despite his practiced accent.  I'm not sure he understood me very well at first either, but we warmed up to each other and the best part is that he solved my problem!  Over the phone!

Did you know that you can set up your computer so that the expert can drive it and see what it's doing?  First, he set up the sensitivity for my keyboard because, as he said, I'm a speed typist.  Did you hear that?  I'm speedy.  Then, we ran some diagnostics because the computer stops to think now and then and keeps missing some notes that I'm playing and I have to go back and put them in.  Well, he never quite saw what I was talking about.  It was the classic computer's game of call-the-technician-so-I-can-operate-perfectly.  You know that game, don't you?  But then he ran a hardware diagnostic program and there it was, a busted hard drive.

And it's still under warranty!  Joy of joys. 

Then, I got a call from Mike telling me that Chase called and wanted to renegotiate our loan since we pointed out that we'd have been losing $16,000 over the life of the loan.  Really, you want to work with us now?  Hmmm.  I'm not sure I want to work with these people, still, but I told Mike that I trusted him if not them and that I was going to scour that contract for flaws within 30 days of signing it.  I'm still not entirely convinced.  So now I have that to look forward to reading.  Well crap.  I was going to read it anyway, but this time, I'm going to have my threat-level set to orange.  Lovely. 

So there it is, orthotics, warranty repairs, and refinancing. 

I'll be really happy to get onto how Mike is finishing up Wood Badge this weekend.  Well, technically, he said he's not finished for another eighteen months.  That's a long time.  Apparently, they're going to check on how well he accomplishes five goals he's set for himself and then decide if he has earned Wood Badge.  That is one serious training program. 

I was really interested in those five goals.  They popped up quickly in my head, to finish a quilt I've been working on, to get to the Seattle Art Museum and some galleries on a regular basis, to raise my weekly walking average to ten miles, and to write another article or two for the local newsletter.  I didn't have an immediate #5.  Then Mike told me that each of the goals needs to be about Scouting.  Ah. That.

My one and only goal for Scouting is to provide support for Mike so that he can be free to be the good guy that he is.  Yesterday, I hauled stuff from the Scout shack to the new meeting location.  Today, I bought three and a half pounds of stew meat so he can cook stroganoff for the other Scouters this weekend.  Then, I called Dell's Technical Support line.  I know that wasn't actually Scouting, but if you know how much I hate actually knowing how a computer works, you'll know that it was a commitment to Mike and it was an hour and a half he didn't have to spend on the phone when he really needed to be getting ready for his second Wood Badge weekend.  Plus, it might have helped him that I wasn't too snarky about this refinance deal.  We really do want to lower our interest rate in the long run. 

So there you have it. 

I think I deserved that nap today, don't you think?

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment