Sunday, April 1, 2012

Artistic Meatloaf at Comicon

I'm jazzed up! 

I had been saying I needed to go see art, thinking I needed to see the Gauguin exhibit at the Seattle Art Museum.  It isn't too late.  I still have until April 29th to go.  Maybe I could bring my boy there during spring break this week.  Somehow, I don't see that going over very well.  Instead, I think I need to bring my notebook and some pencils and sit quietly by myself and that would make me happy.  I've need more art in my life.  Who would have thought? 

Well, a friend was spending her weekend on a three day pass to the Emerald City Comicon.  We talked to her last year after it was over and figured that we'd like to go to see what was up.  Well, Nick and I went this afternoon while Mike was finishing up his wilderness first aid training.

People-watching was exquisite!  There were people in costumes I recognized and many in the strangest getups.  I'll get you some pictures tomorrow.  Tonight, I got distracted and realized that with 1983 photos on my iPhone, it will take too long to download anything tonight.  Have I told you how much I love my iPhone?  I find it difficult to put pictures of Nick, or even Buddy, into the garbage, even though I have copies on my computer and backed up on our hard drive.  For now, you'll have to believe me that the people-watching at Comicon was fabulous. 

I kept telling Nick that this was his opportunity to stare.  These people wanted us to see them, to see the detail in their costumes, to talk about how they designed and built them.  These are their true souls, opened up, I told him.  Do I really think that?  Yes, I think I do.

Watching the artists work made me even happier than watching the people.  There was one guy, Gabe Jackson, who was drawing a zombie in his sketchbook.  It made me laugh out loud.  When I told him I was sorry, he said,

"No! That's what I was aiming for." 

Gabe was grinning.  How is it that a zombie, a small detailed zombie cartoon, can be funny and make me laugh out loud all by himself?  This guy was brilliant! 

I wanted to buy a gaming coffee table, the steampunk gun, and a half a dozen T-shirts.  I wanted art that was drawn on the spot.  Instead, I bought Nick whatever he wanted which consisted of two Lego guys and a paper doll monster that Gabe Jackson designed.  Nick named him Meatloaf and he already has a personality in our house.  Apparently, he doesn't like me very much yet, but he likes when I scratch his shoulder in that one sweet spot. 

Thank you for listening, jb



No comments:

Post a Comment