Saturday, June 11, 2011

Camping in a Lawn Chair

Tonight, I'm going to sleep in a lawn chair inside a bivy inside a sleeping bag under the stars. I love sleeping this way. The lawn chair keeps my old back from aching and the bivy is like a one-man tent with no poles and keeps the dew, light rain, and mosquitos out. I still get to breathe fresh air and look up at the stars in the middle of the night. I miss being in with Mike, but it's worth it. Nick is in with Adrian and his parents in a two-room tent. We are camping with about nine Cub Scouts and their families on an island in Puget Sound. People have brought sisters, brothers, two dogs, and one puppy.

Dinner was great. It's amazing how good hamburgers and hot dogs taste outside. They even had salads! Mike spent all afternoon making peach cobbler and pumpkin-pie cake in Dutch ovens over the camp fire. I only had a bite of each, but they were delicious.

We had a great campfire too. Mike, usually a quiet guy, gets up at Scouting events and tells stories, leads songs, and encourages the boys to do skits. They are usually really bad, but the boys love doing it and we always seem to laugh at the right time. The favorites usually involve rolling in the dirt and making gross sounds.

I'm going to tuck in now.

Good night and thanks for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment