Sunday, June 26, 2011

Eating Petunias

Sometimes when I'm hungry and eating right, I wonder if things around me are edible, like the petunias in the planter on the back deck and the tall weeds in my yard that look crunchy and juicy at the same time Well, I learned something today - petunias are edible, at least for giraffes. How do I know this? A docent at the Woodland Park Zoo took $5.00 from me and handed me a leafy branch and a petunia. After standing in a line for a half an hour, I got the honor of giving it to a giraffe.

He had the great long neck, huge eyes with long lashes, and a long black tongue. The docent said that it was thought that the tops of their tongues were black to prevent sunburn. Isn't that amazing? When the giraffe took the petunia, his tongue touched my little finger. The docent also told me that they pick their noses with their tongues. Great, I got goobered by a giraffe.

I've been to this zoo many times with my boy. I had always gone with the same moms and run the same circuit. Today, we went with my niece and her boyfriend, real aficionados of the zoo.

It's great going with experts to do what they love. My favorite baseball game was one we had gone to with a true fan. My favorite trip to the art museum was to see a Van Gogh exhibit with a friend who majored in art history in college. So the zoo was lots of fun with my niece who has signed up to become a docent. She looked so happy there. She even pointed out the mating flamingos.

I had never known that you could feed the giraffes at the zoo. I didn't mind the extra cost. I like doing new things, even if it means getting goobered by a giraffe.

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment