Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Going to Pioneer Camp

I'm just about to leave for Pioneer Camp with my boy.  I can't wait, but he's not happy. He says he's going to miss his dad, his cat, and the television. I think he'll have a great time once he gets there. We're supposed to imagine that we're traveling by wagon train across the country before it was settled. I'm going to be working with the kids to cook. We're having jerky, beans, stew, buffalo burgers (made out of real buffalo), pancakes, and bacon. I packed a bag with some salad, fruit, and just a little chocolate. I'm going to be sleeping in a cabin shaped like a wagon with four girls. I figure if any of them has trouble in the night, I can slip them a square of chocolate and it will help.  It's like the way the professor gave Harry Potter chocolate after the dementors tried to suck his soul out of him.  I've embraced that since I read it and it's just supported all that much more since I learned that chocolate helps to release endorphins in your brain.

I'm almost in camp mode. I like being outside. It makes me feel better. I sometimes wish I had an outdoor kitchen and shower for when the weather is warm enough. Our camp this weekend is going to be cold and wet. It'll get down to 50 degrees tonight and no higher than 56 degrees today and tomorrow. Welcome to the Pacific Northwest. I'll be living in my layers with the long red Goretex jacket Mike bought for me a couple of years ago.  When he gave it to me, I told him that if I'm ever lost in the woods, they'll be able to see me via satellite. Ha! Never buy your child a green rain jacket. Red. Orange. Those are good colors for people who might get lost in the woods.

So, I've got to go. Wish me luck. I think we'll all have some fun, but you never know with camping. Since we aren't far from home, I won't worry about being stuck there.

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment