Saturday, June 18, 2011

Going to Our Street Festival, Twice

So today, I took the boys, Nick and Adrian, to the local street festival. They marched in the parade in their Scout uniforms and helped the older Scouts with keeping the street clean. For that, they will earn a small badge and they were both willing and cheerful about it. After that, we walked around, they spent the hot cash that was burning a hole in their pockets, we ate, and we talked to friends. My favorite part is seeing friends while theirs is the chance to spend all the money they might have. It's always junk, the stuff they come home with, except for last year when a one guy was turning wands on a lathe and selling them for a reasonable price. Those wands were beautiful. He didn't have a booth this year, so we were back to junk.

Usually, I love the street fair, but this time, my heart wasn't in it. Mike stayed at home to get some rest if not actual sleep. I found myself telling my better friends and some of Mike's how hard the last few weeks have been with this sleepless illness of his. I cried when one friend was especially sympathetic. Usually, I'm in my chatty glory, glad to see all the community gathered and having a good time. Even other times when it rained, I wanted to stay to the end and help people take down tents. There are food booths and crafts, but my church is always there giving away bubbles and bottles of water. The historical society hangs a bunch of old photos and sells their books. I'll volunteer there some day. I love those old photos. The food pantry collects donations and cans of food. They support more than sixty families a week. My favorite librarians are usually handing out fliers for the summer reading program, and the Humane Society often brings a few dogs to get adopted. And don't forget that there are great junky toys to be had for an easy price.  It's a nice celebration.

But early on, I wanted to go home, to see how Mike had done.  The boys had spent their money and were starting to bicker, so we left at two, long before the tents were supposed to come down and the road open to traffic again.  When we got home, Mike had done a load of dishes and was picking up in the den.  He was glad to see us, he said, and was trying to burn up some nervous energy. 

"Hey hon," he said, "would you mind if we went over to the festival for just a little bit?"

"Sure," I said, sighing silently. "If you get out and walk a little, it might help you sleep tonight." We tumbled back into the car and went.  Mike bought more junky toys for the tired kids and was ready to come home within twenty minutes.

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment