Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Mixing a Migraine with Boys

Migraine. Trying to be usefully anyway is hard.

I lost my blog from yesterday in the waiting room.  Stupid 'BlogWriter Lite' deleted it when I had to click my phone closed to get my blood drawn.  There was an older couple across the room from me and I watched as she read to him, one hand on his forearm, while he held his book loosely in his.  He wore a straw hat with an orange, green, and white, striped hatband.  He had on white socks with brown loafers.  His laugh lines were deep and he had patient eyes.  He reminded me of my Great Uncle Raymond, minus the cigar.  I loved my Great Uncle Raymond.

This is lame.  I wonder if I keep writing if I'll come up with something good.  I need a nap.  It's only 10:35 am and I got plenty of sleep last night.  I treated my migraine with my usual concoction, antihistamine, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and caffeine.  It's sort of under control, but not quite.  I can still feel it lurking just under my skull, waiting for the time when I bend over and it can strike me deep in my brain with its lance.

Here's what happened.  Yesterday, I played with a rope while Mike showed the boys how to do a taut-line hitch and half hitches.  These are the knots he taught me to use when we tie the canoe onto the truck.  Good knots to know. Good memories of white water and a wet dog.  I kept playing with my length of rope while I watched the boys, in Laurel and Hardy fashion, put up a tarp as they pretended a storm was coming in and they still needed to cook.  They were hysterical.  I wish I had a video of them.  My rope was one of those with lots of fiber and a woody smell.  I could feel that I was a little bit allergic and would have been fine if I'd washed my hands when I was done, but I made the mistake of touching my face before we got home and waiting to wash my hands.  Then I got a welt on my cheek and started to wheeze.  Instead of taking a shower and antihistamine, I sat with Mike and Nick and hung out. Then, just before I went to sleep, Mike convinced me to take antihistamine.  Too late.  I woke at 4:07 am to one word.  Migraine.  There was nothing for it.  It was going to be a tough day even though I threw ibuprofen and acetaminophen onto it. 

I had some tea with caffeine, but now, Nick wants to go swimming at the Bellevue Aquatics Center.  Maybe we can go, but  I can't see it being easy.  We'd have to stop and get Adrian a new swim shirt since his mom said he won't swim without one and he outgrew his old one.  She won't be bothered to get him one until late August.  Plus, we need to buy Legos for a friend's birthday party tomorrow.  Swimming could have been an easy day of swirly water in my hair if not for that.  Boys in the toy section of Target is a miserable thing when they have no money to spend.  "Jake," I will tell them. "Just focus on what you want to get for Jake." They'll be begging for something they want and I have no fight in me.  Then we might get to the pool an hour after the session opens and we'll have to hurry out right when they close because Adrian has to spend a few minutes with his dad before he heads off to do karaoke.

I'm not doing very well here, am I? Sounding very crabby.  It's hard to blog when your brain is squishy and loose. 

Thanks for listening anyway, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment