Monday, August 12, 2013

Modern Mozart and a Question of Green in the Sky

Did you ever wonder what kind of music Mozart would be writing if he were alive today? Would he still have been a classical genius still or would he be building a marimba out of PVC pipes and playing that? I'm not sure if Mozart was a genius at building or just at playing the piano. Would he have played like Jackson Browne? Could he have picked up another instrument and been Stevie Ray Vaughn instead?

Oh, I just identified my age, didn't I?

Well, you knew I was an old fart anyway. Who cares if I confirm that?

Mike's watching the movie 'Pink Floyd - The Wall.' I never liked Pink Floyd. The existential angst always got to me with Pink Floyd. It didn't help that, when I was in college, I was reluctantly invited to a weekend of binge drinking and 'The Wall' played at top volume over and over and over on the stereo while I tried to get warm enough to sleep in an empty bathtub because that's where my hostess put me while gingerly holding out a thin blanket as she swayed and pointed with a bubblegum-pink painted fingernail. Good times, that bathtub night. Good times.

My life has improved quite a bit since then. George Herbert said that 'living well is the best revenge' back in the 1600s. There's a reason a line like that stays popular for so many years.

Despite the sad memory of Pink Floyd, I'm gratified at the view out my window at this hour. The huge trees are in black silhouette. By now, I can identify the Western Red cedar and the Douglas Fir by their shapes alone. The sky is somehow a blend of peach, yellow, and blue without actually being green in between. Just how does that work? I know the light travels further when it comes into the atmosphere at a tangent, giving the sky its orange, red, or peachy color. The blue is higher up where the light still has a straight short shot through to my eyes. Why isn't a section of the sky green when that color comes in between in the rainbow of frequencies? There should be green streaks, not near the horizon and not high in the sky. Why not?

Riddle me this, batman.

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment