Friday, January 13, 2012

Making Soup

I'm making soup.  My boy, Nick, has a stomach bug and was up all night.  I'm not sure the soup I'm making is bland enough.  I'm not even sure that Nick will have an appetite when he wakes up.  So far, I've used broccoli, chicken stock, and tiny bits of chard in my soup.  I've seasoned it with sea salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder.  I want to make a cheese soup, but even on a good day, that's too rich for him.  His favorite soup is Progresso's Italian Wedding Soup, which is harder to find around here than it used to be.  Isn't it funny how you get hooked on something and then it changes, your favorite grocery store stops carrying it, or they stop making it altogether? 

So why am I trying to recreate a soup that I have stockpiled in my cabinet?  That's a good question.  I don't even have all of the ingredients for it.  One of the big draws for Nick is the tiny meatballs in it.  He loves meatballs, in any medium.  I even make him meatball salads, using romaine lettuce, Swedish meatballs (which I can get frozen by a company called Rosina) and raspberry vinaigrette dressing.   Right now, it's his favorite salad. 

When Nick is home sick from school, I slip into a different mode, staying up with him and sleeping when he sleeps.  Unfortunately, I still have things to do today and tomorrow.  I hate when that happens.  The puppy still needs to go for a walk.  His energy levels are rising and in a bit, he's going to get into trouble.  Adrian is still coming over after school in a few minutes, so I'm not going to get that extra nap in unless Nick wakes up and feels like playing.  I really kind of want to keep them apart as much as I can so that Adrian doesn't bring this nasty virus home with him as well.  Plus, tomorrow morning, Teddy has the first class in another round of training. 

There will be no rest.

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment