Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Aftermath?

Did you want this story about the power outage to continue?  Did you?  Well, I'm happy to say that it's over.  Okay, it's mostly over.  I have power.  It's warm in my house.  I have water.  Hell, I have hot water!  My washer, dryer, and dishwasher have been running almost continuously since noon.  I can't tell you how happy it made me that I can go back to rinsing my recyclables before I put them in my bin.  There is also joy in hearing the ice maker dump a load of cubes into the tray for me.  The little things can be significant.  I hadn't realized how much I missed my ratty old loofah sponge.  My skin is so smooth!  Well, my hands are rough from all the pioneering.  I imagine that won't change this week since I'm going to be up to my elbows cleaning up the aftermath, and hopefully a bit more.  Wouldn't it be nice to call the carpet cleaners?  Oh, you know I pioneered for too long if I'm looking forward to having the carpets cleaned.

In all that dim light, I hadn't realized just how much dirt had accumulated.  I have sooty clothes and dishes.  Do you really need to hear about all the cleaning I have to do now?  Inside and out, our house is a mess.  I can't even think of the landscaping I'm going to need to tackle having lost thirteen trees on our acre and a third of property.  But maybe it's going to be that kick in the pants that I need.  See, I'd much rather write to you than work in the yard or use my vacuum.cleaner. 

The other ongoing part of this saga is that Nick has come down with another virus.  I'm really not ready to be up until 5:00 am with a boy who can't breathe well.  "The season is coming," Mike told me this morning.  Between February and May, Nick almost always misses ten to fourteen days of school with his asthma.  I really need more time before that comes, but it could segue right into it from this situation.  Hmmm.

Well hell!  The wind has picked up and the power has gone out in town.  My neighbor said there are branches strewn about on the roads.  I'd better get moving.  I want my flashlight in my pocket while I'm vacuuming. 

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment