Sunday, January 1, 2012

Ringing in the New Year

Happy New Year!

Our family spent a quiet night together. We roasted hot dogs on a fire in the fire pit. We tossed a bunch of Pop Its Snappers against the window to entertain the cat, who wanted to come outside. We gave Teddy his first hot dog. Then we watched Tom and Jerry cartoons while I scrubbed both cats and the dog with the Zoom-Groom. The cats come running when I get that thing out. It had been a while and it keeps Buddy's digestion in better shape since the loose fur irritates his stomach.

Later, we ate nachos, pizza rolls, and mozzarella sticks and toasted in the New Year (on the East coast) with Martinelli's sparkling cider. Boring? Well, no, it wasn't.

Sometimes I imagine the girl I was, in my early twenties and never spending an evening at my apartment. I called it 'the warehouse' because it was where I kept my stuff but I was hardly ever there.

I like to think that if I sat down over coffee with that girl, she'd understand my lifestyle if I said just one thing: I don't particularly want to hire a babysitter and go out to a party crowded with people I don't know. These two people are the ones I want most to spend my time with, the ones I was looking for all those years ago.

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment