Saturday, October 29, 2011

Popularity

Being out and about with a puppy is a bit like being the princess at the ball. Everybody, and I mean everybody, wants to stop and chat, well, and pet the fuzzy little puppy too.

It's gotten so that Teddy stops at every group of people so that they can admire, pet, and feed him the treats that I provide. Teddy loves children too, and runs with even more enthusiasm when he sees them. Karate practice is a huge hit for him.

When I'm out with him, I forget about how many messes I've already cleaned up and how little sleep I'm getting. Nick forgets how he nips and how quickly he needs to take him outside, in the drizzling rain, after he eats.

This really is going well. It helps that I'm crate-training him tonight rather than putting him in the downstairs bathroom like I did the first few nights. Oh, I was still in there with him every few hours, but he wailed as though he was dying when I left. It was awful. Separation from his pack was a true punishment. We were both crying over it.

I've gotten him used to the crate by feeding him in it and taking him on lots of rides to get to short walks. We'll have to work on the length of walk he can manage. It feels like his walks are more of carries. My jacket is getting kind of stretched out in the damp weather with him in there. He is only a little guy after all. I'm kind of excited about that though, because the walks won't be such a shock to Nick and we'll all be healthier for it as Teddy grows.

I have the crate on the desk in our guest room and the guest bed all made up with my pillows and nice sheets. Teddy can see me and is settling in after a short round of crying. I'm hoping that will abate as he feels more confident about staying with me. It's too bad my mattress feels like a concrete slab.

So Teddy's acting pretty comfortable with Seth's crate. It won't be long before he's too big for it, but for now, he's snug as a bug in a rug and I'm trying to get some sleep before the next round of going outside.

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment