Monday, May 9, 2011

Where Does Comfort Come From?

Since I still have a cold, I need to be surrounded by my favorite things, like a spoiled, reclining advertisement.  Why would I want advertise? Well, I'm surrounded by these things that make me comfortable. Someone made them. Who do I have to thank for all the things that I use and love in my home? Let's see.

I like Kleen Kanteens because the bottoms go through my dishwasher and never smell like aluminum or any of the old smells, like lemonade or sour milk, that my old plastic canteens did. My boy brought one in filled with gravel and dirt. After I wash it, it won't smell like dirt. I also don't have to worry that I'm using as many resources like when I used to buy bottled water. On top of that, I don't have to wonder if a cat has dipped his paw into my glass while I was in another room. Speaking of water, I really like having a bubbly water cooler in my house.  I admit that our well water tastes pretty bad. It's local and healthy for us, but it has a sulphur flavor. My husband bought a water filter for under the sink, but he's been really busy lately and didn't get a chance to install it yet.  He's a Cub Scout Den Leader.  That's a good excuse.  You wouldn't believe how much time that man puts into making these meetings fun for the boys. Tonight they're learning how to safely build a fire and making s'mores.  My boy is really sad he's too sick to go to this one. S'mores! Kleen Kanteens are made in China. I didn't turn my bubbly over to see where it was made. Sorry.

I like my Sonicare tooth brush and my Placker flossers because I can walk around with my teeth feeling like I just got my teeth cleaned at the dentist even when my nose is all clogged up.  Here's my secret - I keep flossers in my purse so I can floss on the way to meeting someone. You know that old-lady-nasty-breath smell? That goes away after you floss. Both my Sonicare and the Plackers were made in China. I want that clean feeling now. Hold on a minute...
...
Thanks!

I live with my iPhone in my pocket. I do way more than just call people on it. I can text, blog, facebook, and MapQuest on there. Is 'facebooking' a verb yet? It's also a huge plus to be able to hand my phone to a bored boy in a waiting room.  Don't worry, I still carry a book where ever I go.  Can you believe I don't have all my books on an e-reader already? And can you believe that I didn't want one of these phones at first? I would use my husband's for calls now and then but didn't have it figured out. I borrowed it for everything else. I think he got tired of me snagging it. Boy, am I a convert. My iPhone was made in the USA, but components came from Korea, Taiwan, the U.K. And the apps? They come from all over.

I love the blank notebooks my husband gets for me on Snapfish.com with a photo of my boy on the cover. I told you that my husband's behind, but I really thought he'd get me one for Mother's Day. I'd bet he ordered one but it didn't come in yet. In between, I usually use Moleskine notebooks. And to go with the blank notebooks, I love my Itoya Paper Skater pens. They just feel right. I can't quite tell where my Snapfish notebooks come from, but my Moleskine notebooks come from Italy and China. Itoya pens come from Taiwan.

I love Celestial Seasonings Peppermint tea.  I've made about five cups of it between the two of us today. We aren't eating very much, but we're drinking lots of fluids.  Two Christmas's ago, my boy's face lit up when he tasted a candy cane. "Mom! This is just like your tea!" he said. I miss the little sayings on the box. It's just an ordinary box now. It looks like they make their tea in the U.S.

I love my fleece slippers from Land's End.  They are so worn in that I have no idea where they were made. Land's End said they came from Israel.  I'm sure the electrons from the Live Help came from around the world too considering how convoluted our conversation was. The answers were scripted and didn't quite fit my questions but they were polite answers. Still, it doesn't cost much to send electrons around the world and it was nice having an easy way to ask.

I live in my LL Bean Katahdin Iron Works hooded sweatshirt. My husband and I each bought two so that we still have one to wear when the other one's in the wash.  The secret is that they're heavy and the sleeves are lined. We bought different colors so we wouldn't look like those nauseating married couples who dress in matching clothes. My hoodie is made in Jordan.

I like my Dell computer. It's made in China. The software and components in it come from all over the world.

And I like my Sonoma fleece blanket that my mother sent me for Christmas a few years ago.  It's made in China too. The quilt I made for another person on the couch came from my sewing room.  The fabric in it, the batting, and the thread came from all over the world, I'm sure. My Kleenex are made in the U.S. from domestic and imported material.

So thank you China, Jordan, Taiwan, Korea, the U.S., the U.K., Israel, and Italy for making all these things that have made me more comfortable at home today. Who made your favorite things?

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment