Sunday, May 15, 2011

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

I'm lying in bed again today, but I feel much better. Yesterday was a trip! Not a great trip either. Here it is - I don't like being altered. Well, I like the feeling of a half a beer, but that's it. So all this stuff is pretty uncomfortable. The prednisone and Xopenex make my heart race as if I should do something and my hands shake too much to do it. The cough syrup with codeine lets me sleep even with the jitteriness of the prednisone and it slows my rate of respiration so it's a little frightening with the low oxygen. It also gives me a hangover and makes me stupid. The low oxygen makes it exhausting to move, even to focus my eyes, gives me a headache, and makes words sound weird in my mouth.

I'm watching 'Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist.' I love that movie, the angst, the gum, the band thing. I was in a garage band when I was in my twenties. Oh man, I loved it. I played keyboards and sang, mostly backups. But I could belt out a Pat Benetar song with the best of them. We had one paid gig. On New Year's Eve of 1986, we played in one of those private clubs in the Bronx. There were two hundred guests. It was so exciting! I had about two beers to loosen up, guys spilling drinks on my keyboard, and lots of angst. There were four guys there that I either had either dated, was dating, or had the potential to date.

One guy was the drummer in the band and was always asking if I'd brought any money at a restaurant after the bill came. He said he loved watching my hands as I played. Another guy showed up early, helped the band members set up, knowing about the drummer and I and another of the guys there that I was dating, and spent the whole show running the lights because our light guy didn't show. Afterward, he stayed and helped the drummer pack up his drums and then we caravan our cars out of the Bronx and went out for breakfast at 6:00 am. One guy was the lead singer's little brother and was nine years younger than I was. He looked like he should be on TV, had a brand new mustang, and adored me. He was only eighteen. The last guy said he loved me, but used to make fun of me behind my back. He was that guy who could piss off a waitress with a snap of the fingers. I'm sure I had spit in my soup more than once when I was out with him. He came late, but left early to make up for it.

So, are you curious? Or do you already know which one I ended up with?

I married the lighting guy and I've never looked back.

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment