Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Few of My Favorite Things

So, my boy and I are catching colds. I'm so bummed. Children are not supposed to be sick on Mother's Day.  It isn't fair.  Uh oh, I'm whining and expecting a fairy tale again. Sorry.

All day, that song's been running through my head about my favorite things.  You know, the one that Julie Andrews sang in 'The Sound of Music.' When I was a kid, I loved that movie and whenever I was sad, I pretended I was Julie Andrews and sang 'My Favorite Things' and it helped. 

But then, I'm always singing my way through trouble, even when I can't do it out loud. I even made up songs for my boy when he was going to the doctor or saying goodnight to his dad. It was a shock for me to learn that most people don't do that.

I wonder what would have happened that time when I was in the hospital in traction, if I'd started singing to help my pain the way I wanted to.  I know it sounds strange, but the singing really helps.  Still, I was in a hospital, so I didn't sing.  Even on the pain relievers that they gave me, the ones that gave me strange dreams, I was lucid enough to know not to sing lying in a hospital in the middle of the night. I'll tell you that sad story some other time.

So the song running through my head has me wanting to making a list of my favorite things. When I figure out how to sing a blog, I might.  You wait.  But not tonight, my boy's trying to sleep. You'll have to get by with a simple list.

I love the way I can look out my skylights and see trillium and bleeding heart growing on the forest ridge behind my house.

I love the tiny table and chair on my little back deck where I keep flowers and hope for dry days so I can go out there to write, look at the different shades of green, and listen to the birds sing.

I love the old Western Red Cedar tree that holds the robin's nest with the three fat baby robins in it. I'm keeping the binoculars in my sewing room so I can see so many details of that tiny home. I love the way there is moss woven into the nest.

I love strawberry bubble gum.

I love hearing my husband's voice through the door as he reads to my boy before he goes to sleep. I can't quite hear what he's saying, but that's okay.

I love the rocks and fossils I have in a crystal bowl on the banister.

I love the sound of the cars going by on the highway outside. I wonder who they are and where they're going. I wonder who loves them.

I love my grandma's china cabinet that I filled with treasures, trinkets, and toys so that my boy would love it too.

I love the blue and yellow flower my boy made for me in school.

I love the way Buddy pats my leg when I've been sitting at the computer for too long and he wants a lap.

I love the way Seth will stretch one paw out to touch me when I'm finally sitting with Buddy on my lap on the couch.

And I love my husband and my boy.  Despite the messes that I make, despite the way we get too busy, and despite the sicknesses, I really feel very blessed.

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment