Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Soup

I made soup.

Well, if you need me to be specific, I added sauteed eggplant, onion, bok choy, baby chard, black olives, and garbanzos to a carton of cream of chicken soup. It's good, restorative. I feel like someone is taking care of me.

That's me!

My mother says it's hard to think of cooking for herself. I love it. I add whatever suits my fancy. Today, it's eggplant, Chinese eggplant, to be precise. And doing something simple like this makes me feel like I'm worth a little time. That's what I wish my mother knew, that taking a little time with food is worth it, even if it's just you.

The eggplant is a little bit sweet and the black olives are salty. The flavors haven't melted into one thing yet. It's a good soft food for a stomach that isn't ready for a salad. Yet, it is a salad, sort of. It has the variety of a salad, just softer.

I like cream soups. Cream of tomato is my favorite, but it's so easy to make, it doesn't make sense for me to buy it. Tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, basil, a dash of white pepper, and a little cream added after it's off the burner. Sometimes I put little chunks of Dubliner cheese into it and microwave it. Then, it's like having grilled cheese and tomato soup. Do you remember grilled cheese and tomato soup on a cold wet day?

Can you tell I'm still trying to get back to normal? My stomach is touchy. I'm still tired though I slept the entire morning away.

I feel quiet. I never feel quiet.

But it's a good quiet.

I didn't get anything done today. I didn't walk the dog. I didn't pick up groceries. I didn't see any friends. I think I might go take a nap, just for a little while. I wish I could offer you some soup.

Thanks for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment