Saturday, March 29, 2014

Nailed It

Nick has a karate test this afternoon. It's for his brown belt. I know. Can you believe that? I'm so proud!

His sensei said to expect something entirely different than the tests he's taken before. He'll be mixed in with adults. It will be longer and more intense. He's nervous. Shoot, I'm nervous. I keep wondering if he's going to be okay. I'm trying to figure out the best way to feed him so that he won't run out of steam in the middle of the test.

I don't even know how long it's going to take. An hour? Two? Three?

So, I'm working with Nick to do some carbo-loading this morning. For breakfast, I gave him oatmeal with cinnamon and raisins. I even stirred in a bit of unsweetened cocoa and vanilla. Then, for lunch, he'll probably have half of a sandwich and a small salad. I thought it should be smaller than his usual lunch because it would suck to have stuff coming up during the test. I told him that he should have a small protein and fruit smoothie about an hour before the test. That was my guess for a good nutritious workup toward supporting him all afternoon.

Plus, I just gave him a sixteen ounce glass of water and told him to sip enough to finish it in the next hour. He doesn't know that I plan to put another eight ounces in front of him for the next hour. I know he needs to be hydrated.

So, how does my plan look?

I figured I could just hop onto the Internet and see what was what. I found an article by Rebecca Scritchfield. Is she an expert? I hope so, because if she is, I totally nailed it!

Wish me luck. Well, actually Nick is the one who needs luck. I'm just going to be walking the dog in the rain this afternoon. I don't need to carbo-load to do that.

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment