Wednesday, May 8, 2013

A Memory Metaphor

I don't know what I'm about to say. Let's just say, I haven't figured out what is important about my day amid the tangle of everyday events. I may not really remember the events of the day anyway, so all of this is fiction. I've told you that before, haven't I, that it's all fiction. It ended up being true. Just ask David McRaney.

I'm nearly finished reading his book, 'You Are Not So Smart.' It turns out that this guy also has a blog of interesting psychological studies about how your brain can be tricked. I love this stuff. Still, when I looked at today's installation, the poor guy has a photo of the way a tornado ripped the roof off his house. That sucks, doesn't it? I've never lost my home, but it's got to be an incredible jolt.

Now, think about it. David McRaney writes a book about how we plebs, all of us, think our memories are great but in fact, they are full of holes. We can watch a video with a man in a gorilla suit running through it and miss it if we're given an assignment to do at the same time. We might even miss an entire change of person in front of us if we're focused on some task at hand. Right? Then he posts a photo of a homey wall with a photo on it yet the roof is missing. Is there a more apt metaphor for his blog than that?

So, here's what I want you to do. Go visit his blog. Buy his book. See, he's going to need it to put the roof back onto your memory, I mean, his house.

Really, he could use your support.

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment