Friday, June 22, 2012

Jump Jiving

I just jumped until sweat flew off me. The best part about taking the kids to Sky High is that I get to jump for an hour. I jump like an old lady. No tricks for me, but it is a great hit of endorphins. I'm a big fan of a natural high. Plus, I get to jump really high once in a while, just to see if I can.

When I was a kid, I went through a stage during which I jumped almost constantly. I'd jump in my bedroom. I'd jump in the kitchen. I'd jump while I was standing in front of the mirror in the bathroom. Brushing my teeth while I jumped didn't work. I found that out.

I just had an excess of energy. I think it was around the onset of puberty, you know, with all those crazy hormone surges and all. It seemed to last about eight months. It was weird, really. Picture an adolescent jumping down to the bus stop and hopping until it turned around the corner a block away. I wasn't totally crazy. I didn't want anyone to see me jumping like that.

I still feel a little that way, embarrassed to be seen jumping, all that oldness flopping around. I can guess that it isn't pretty. Really. Not. Pretty.

But I'm out there, jumping until the sweat flies off my hair, feeling my heart pumping, surging in endorphins, almost that energetic young girl once again. Well, maybe just in my head.

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment