Saturday, June 16, 2012

A Chatterbox Resume Detective

When I was a little kid, my family called me a chatterbox.  I'm sure that my friends would not be surprised at that nickname.  I've tried to give it up, but I can't.  I found that lately, I couldn't walk through the elementary school in less than a half an hour because I'd get into a conversation with one person or another.  Today, I went to the town festival and found the same thing happening.  For example, Mike asked me to get cups and water from the market, two short blocks away.  I had six conversations on the way there, offering to meet one parent with our brood of kids in a week or so, telling someone else I'd be at an event when I very clearly had a conflict which I discovered when I actually looked at my calendar, and volunteering to edit a resume. 

We solve problems that way.  We make plans.  I volunteered to do more than I'm actually capable of doing.  Why do I do that?  I'm busy enough.  This resume.  Why did I offer?  I haven't written my own resume in over twelve years.  I just spent the last hour and a half redoing it for her.  I kind of enjoyed it. 

When I worked in the corporate world, I was frequently asked to help choose candidates by reviewing their resumes and sometimes by interviewing them.  I was much better at eliminating people based on their resumes.  I could spot woolly-words from a mile away.  'I was sent to get coffee' turned into 'I expedited the alleviation of appetition.'  I could see how they organized information.  It turns out that people who can organize information can also organize their projects.  Straight-forward people use straight-forward words.  I could even spot holes in the dates that were inconspicuously left out that indicated joblessness or the fact that the person didn't actually complete the degree, but quit after three years.  I loved being a resume detective! 

It became natural that I'd be able to create a solid resume as well.  I've helped twenty or thirty people write their resumes.  This is the first one in a long time, but I don't seem to have lost the knack. Still, I don't think I want to do that sort of thing unless I know and like the person.  It's people-watching at its best.  Yes, I am a nosy creature.  I try to remain a benign nosy creature, but curiosity is definitely part of my makeup, along with being a chatterbox.

People don't seem to believe me, but after a couple of hours of chattering away, I relish my silence.  That's what I'm doing here, on the computer, at a quarter to midnight.  It's a way of being a chatterbox without having to move my mouth.  What a great life I'm allowed to lead.

The dog is groaning.  It's bedtime and I'm keeping him up.  Poor baby.   I guess I'd better put myself to bed so he can relax.  Isn't that a funny role?  This sweet guy can't go to bed until I do.  He really is a wonderful companion for an exhausted chatterbox.  We all have our roles to play.

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment