Monday, January 26, 2015

'Destiny's Gambit' by R.J. Wood

My friend R.J. Wood wrote a book that I really like, 'Destiny's Gambit!' It's either juvenile or young adult fiction, but I can never remember which is which. Which is older, a juvenile delinquent or a young adult? Either way, it's a good book for your middle reader. Well, I admit, it's a good book for the mom of a middle reader. I don't tell my friends that I read kid's books without being required to, but now you know. When I'm reading a book like this, I almost remember what it was like to be a kid.

I loved that this awkward boy in the story, Jake, ended up being so strong and so wise. Does it always seem like having a rough time of it leads a kid that way or am I just wishing it were so because I was an awkward girl? I'm telling you that, as a kid, I dreamed it would be true, that I would be someone who was hidden at first but underneath, was something special. I'm something all right, but we won't go into that right now.

I really want to tell you the story. That would ruin it, wouldn't it?

Oh, you know I'm going to tell you anyway, at least some of it. If you don't want to hear it, you should squeeze your eyes closed and clamp your hands over your ears, saying 'La-la-la-la-la-la' until I'm done.

Well, Jake finds a boat in the middle of a field of grass. It fuels his imagination and the next thing you know he's off on a nautical adventure. The cool thing is that he finds some intense friends along the way. How can you have an adventure without some friends? The other cool thing is that this adventure is in space so some things are different. Sound in a vacuum, remember that? And 'an object in motion tends to stay in motion' especially when there's no gravity or friction or anything. And what about oxygen? Yeah, well that's all worked out. But the coolest thing is that when you're in space you have to ask yourself what 'up' actually means. Jake has to get used to all this stuff, plus some pretty radical 'people.'

Oh man. I can't tell you the whole story. It wouldn't be fair to my author friend and I wouldn't do the story justice.

Okay, any of you that closed your eyes and are sitting there saying 'La-la-la-la' can stop now. I SAID ANY OF YOU THAT CLOSED YOUR ...

Oh, never mind.

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment