Saturday, April 12, 2014

Growing Away

Well, we're about to go biking. Nick had a two-night sleepover and he's not motivated. I've been cold all day and I'm not motivated. Mike hasn't yet showered, but he's off the couch so that means he's at least somewhat motivated. Teddy is motivated. He's been motivated all day, bringing us his knobby toys, swinging them around like they're nun chuks, and whacking our knees. Yes, Teddy is very motivated. Seth, on the other hand, just wants to keep a lap handy all afternoon. It's a beautiful day out. Seth hates beautiful days.

We're going to bike on the Snoqualmie Valley Trail. I'm hoping that Teddy can figure out how to manage to run without running in front of our bikes. That way, he could go six or seven miles with us. Otherwise, I'll have to fall back, stow the bike and walk with him. I'm hoping he can figure it out. I want us to stick together today.

Harry Chapin's song 'Cat's in the Cradle' coincidentally played on either television on two different stations in the past three minutes. Is that weird or what?

No, Universe, I don't need that message. I have done things with my boy. We took a friend to the aquarium just the other day. Last night, when he was on the second half of his sleepover, it felt empty in the house. I kept listening for Nick's sounds.

This morning, Nick rolled around on the carpet in a blanket and watched television. I asked if he missed us and he said, "Nope."

Then he looked at my face.

"Well, maybe a little." A little is good. I can handle a little.

"Could you have gone three or four days away, do you think?" I asked. I'm not sure what I was hoping to hear.

"Yup," he said, still looking at the television. Well, okay. Just a year ago, he wouldn't have said that. Five years ago, he said he never wanted to move out of our house. That struck me with a load of fear in the pit of my stomach. I've seen those boys, the ones that never leave, the ones that set up a constant video stream in the basement with a periodic supply of food delivered by mom. No, I don't want him to live here forever. Eight years ago, he told us that we all had to move to Ireland together and that we could go home until he got married, but I'd have to come back and live with his family for four years when his wife had a baby. He was sure his wife would want that kind of help. Oh, honey.

Now, he's ready to be away from home for a week at a time.

But am I?

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment