Sunday, April 10, 2011

Pausing to Breathe

I'm not prepared for my normal life.  I missed choir practice.  I missed picking up my new glasses.  I missed baking for the bake sale. I have 84 photos I'm supposed to be turning into bio pages for school-kids' books. Tomorrow, I'm scheduled to call people to support the school bond.  I'm supposed to be telling stories to you.  I can't right now.  I'm sorry.  I have a sick kid at home and that's the only thing in the world that matters.  My boy has pneumonia.  Again.  He's only ten and he's had it four times now. 

At least he's sleeping. My husband and I aren't sleeping.  We're listening for the cough, worrying through the silence in between.  I'm back to my tactic of checking to make sure my boy's ears are pink in the dim of his night light.  I started that when he was an infant and he'd finally gotten to sleep. Don't wake a sleeping baby.  The tradition continued when he had pneumonia the first time and the nurses assured me that it was a good way to make sure he was getting enough air.  Don't wake a sick boy either.

But I need to tell you this: I am blessed that my husband has the intelligence of a doctor, an interest in researching the pharmaceuticals, the ability to think clearly under extreme fatigue, and the intuition and ability to comfort of a mother. There are lots of reasons I love my husband (I'm so lucky that way), but these skills are so very endearing right now.  

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment