Sunday, December 3, 2017

Running with the Dogs

Teddy has been really sad during all this kitten stuff. Why is he sitting here waiting to go to the park? Why isn't he the star of the show instead of the ratty little kitten who's afraid of everything?

Teddy's really cute when he sits on top of three blankets and two pillows on the cold leather couch. Teddy's adorable at the dog park when he gets three puppies to grab onto his stick all at the same time. Teddy's awesome when he sees the girl's cross-country team run through the park and he wants to join the girls cross-country team and run with them every day. Teddy loves girls.

Teddy is probably right. He would make a really good dog for a book.

Actually, Teddy was born to be in the movies instead of a book. He's completely photogenic. I get a lot of attention being the ordinary woman who brings him to the park.

"What breed is she?" a girl will ask.

"He's a mix, a shelter dog," I reply.

"Sorry, he. He's so pretty, he looks like a girl. No way, he's a shelter dog? He looks like one of those Korean dogs, a jindo?"

"Nope. Sorry. His mother was an Australian shepherd mix."

"He looks just like a jindo."

Her face isn't as friendly now. Did I hold the line too long?

"Well, you never know," I say, just trying to be nice. I'm not willing to pay $75 to find out what his DNA says he is, but I'd almost guarantee there isn't a bit of jindo in him. How often do you see lab mixes at the park?

And how often do you see jindos?

I had to google 'white korean dog' to even remember what the breed name was. No, the odds are pretty low that Teddy is a jindo mix. Pretty damned low. Most of the dogs out there ranging around and impregnating other dogs are either pit bull or lab mixes. Now and then, you get husky mutt puppies, but not jindos. People with jindos aren't letting them range around the neighborhood, impregnating female dogs.

But what 's the point of arguing with people? It doesn't change their minds. I can feel in the conversation when it begins to make them mad. I don't go past that point. I don't want to be that woman who alienates everyone at the dog park. And then the next time Teddy shows up, these same people don't want to pet him because I was the crabby old woman who told them they were idiots.

No, I want Teddy to be well-loved at the park. So, I nod my head and ask her questions about her dog. I want people to talk to me while we watch Teddy lope along with the other dogs, leaping neatly over a dog who stops abruptly.

So yeah, maybe I will tell you more stories about Teddy. He's quite an unusual dog, even if he doesn't have a drop of jindo blood in his veins.

Later though. Right now, I have to take him to the park so he can run with the dogs.

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment