Thursday, March 21, 2013

'The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian' by Sherman Alexie

Oh, I am so grateful to have a couple of ordinary days in a row. I hung out with friends this week too. I have healthier friends than I am, so we walked instead of going out to eat or drinking too much at a bar.

Here's the thing about having some nice ordinary days - the strangest things pop into my head. My characters think funny lines and I need to listen to them. Cleaning doesn't seem like such a chore.  I'm a better mom to Nick because I'm not overwhelmed when his problems seem to pile onto my own. This morning, we turned up the music on the radio on the way to school. The boys like the pop music, so 'Thrift Shop' by Macklemore has been running through my head. I have to admit that I made up lyrics for the woman who had to sell her thrift store after too many people popped tags and walked out the door with her profits. She still only had 'twenty dollars in her pocket.' I am such a mom these days. You should know that I was never, even as a teenager, a fan of shoplifting. If I thought it was overpriced, I voted with my wallet and walked away. At least I didn't tell the boys my special lyrics. Nick's had enough lecturing for a while and he's as honest as they come.

I'm lucky that his problems are simpler, doing his homework, getting to all of his activities, and hanging out with his friends. He's also interested in a different girl, but he's suddenly shy about it and I don't want to press the issue.  God forbid that he tells me personal details and I post them here for everyone to see.

I listened to a really funny and poignant book the other day, 'The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian' by Sherman Alexie. I want Nick to listen to it. Holy crow, it's a good book. I'm ready to get online and reserve every single book that Alexie ever wrote. It's boy-angst. It's funny, honest, and should be required reading in middle school. Want to know what it feels like to be bullied? This is your book. Want to laugh and cry at the same time? This is your book. Yes, this should be what they're reading in school instead of 'The Great Gatsby.' Oh, I don't have anything against F. Scott Fitzgerald. I liked his books well enough, but they just didn't relate to me when I was in school. Now, I get it, but back then, it was some old white guy writing about what adults do. Alexie wrote about what kids do, what kids think, how kids survive. Kids need books like this. Books like this can save a kid's life.

Ah, the boys are home. I hear them chatting as Nick puts his key into the lock. Teddy is whining and grabbing his squeaky hedgehog. It's finally time to play, as long they don't get sucked into the television.

I'd better make some snacks. They're going to be hungry.

Today, and today only, I'm prepared to be a good mom thanks to Sherman Alexie.

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment