Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Improved Flavor

I'm curious about what our cats would say if they could talk.  Lots of times, Nick and I entertain ourselves by making up their dialog as if their words were dubbed in a B movie.  Mike's sense of humor is a bit too dry for that. 

Our cat Seth always hovers over someone who is sick in our house.  Last week, he looked at the road rash on my leg more than once, as if to inspect it for infection.  I have always associated that behavior with love and concern.  He was worried about us.  I know it's anthropomorphic, but I like doing it anyway.  I was that little girl who had whole lives built up around her stuffed toys, even the ones that spent most of their time in the back of the closet.  But what if my cute and cuddly perspective is just wrong?

Lions, tigers and all other members of the cat family eat meat, often culling the weak from the herd.  I once read a news story about a cougar that licked a man's minor cut until it bled, then began to chew on the man's leg until he managed to get away. 

I've notice that if I'm paying attention, I can tell just when to take food out of the oven by the smell.  When it smells perfect, it's ready.  It's actually more accurate than the timer, as long as I'm paying attention.  What if it sort of works like that for cats too?

So then, when our cat sits close when one of us has a cold, is he really thinking that we smell just about good enough to eat?  I'm not sure I want to know what's going through my cat's mind after all. 

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment