Friday, August 26, 2011

Not Quite On a Horse Again

I'm tired by now.  Today, we got out of the house by 10:15 am to go up to Stillwater Ranch to try out horseback riding near Sultan.  After my last time on a horse, I knew I wasn't up for riding longer than an hour and a half.  Mike wasn't going to make it past two hours, so we took a pass on the horses and sent Nick and Adrian out with our friends from out of town.  It was fun setting them up to go.

On the way there Mike told Adrian that he was going to ride a horse named Devil's Pitchfork.  Then we made up names for everyone's horses, coming up with names for the most ornery horses you could imagine.  Devil's Pitchfork was the best.  So when we met Dalton and I said that Adrian was all ready to ride Devil's Pitchfork, he just nodded and smiled.  Then Adrian started thinking that it was a real horse and got a little nervous about the ride.  He ended up on a gentle painted horse named Titan.  Nick was on Katie.  Katie liked to find places on the hitching post to scratch.  Heather, one of the wranglers, gave the safety talk.  It was a lot like what I'd heard before, but she showed more what you could do by demonstrating it on a horse.  I liked that.  The boys were nervous, so they listened pretty carefully. 

Mike took pictures as they rode off.  I love the pictures Mike takes. Maybe he took our Christmas picture today.  Maybe not.  We didn't get to take pictures down at the Big K Ranch when we rode because we were all riding.

Once they were on their way, Mike and I headed into Sultan to find the bakery that the ranch had hired to make their sandwiches.  The Sultan Bakery was busy when we walked in.  It was no wonder.  The bread they used for their sandwiches was just the right kind of chewy for the egg salad that I ordered.  I also sucked down a large cup of their tomato basil soup.  It was too hot outside for soup, but it was rich and creamy.  Mike had hoped for more than just a turkey/cream cheese sandwich made from deli meat, but it was still good and he left only crumbs. 

Then we stopped at the trailhead for Wallace Falls.  Mike can never get as good a workout as he needs because we all walk too slowly for him, so today, I vowed that I'd push my pace.  I heaved and huffed going up those hills, but I could still talk most of the time, so I think I was still getting the healthy, aerobic kind of exercise.  I loved how the trail ran parallel with the creek for a while.  We hit some elevation gain and I had to take a couple of vista breaks even though there was no break in the trees to see.  Still, I got Mike sweating.  That was good.  The three hours before we needed to meet our riders went quickly so just a bit more than a mile in, we had to turn around.  I was bummed.  I wanted to see the falls, but it had to wait for another time.  It turns out that Mike got sore from the walking, but I was the one huffing and puffing.  I forget that the doctor told me it would take six to eight months to recover from the pneumonia I had in the spring.  Well, I worked my lungs today, that was for sure.  I think I'm more like a pack mule, so my muscles didn't get hit so hard.  On the way back, I borrowed a bandanna from Mike, soaked it in the creek, and wiped the sweat off of my face and neck. 

We got back to the Ranch just as the horses were coming in.  Mike took more pictures and we heard the story of their ride.  Adrian and Nick both thought their horses were going crazy at one point and they both started to gallop up ahead of Dalton on his mule.  It turned out that the horses had stepped onto some hornets and were getting stung.  I'd run if I was getting stung too.  Neither of the boys fell off.  Dalton and Heather took them up to about an elevation of about 1000 feet where they took their own vista break and ate their lunches.  They even had a set of steps up there so it was easier for everyone to get on and off the horses.  I like that plan, but I still wouldn't have been able to ride for three hours. 

Our friends' girls were thrilled to have been able to ride after having lessons.  They'd even had their boots sent out so they'd feel comfortable.  I just wished they were wearing helmets to make a good example for my boys too, but Nick and Adrian both knew they had to wear whatever helmet mostly fit or risk never going again.  I'm a big believer in helmets, but I also believe that adults should have the choice.  You know, Darwin's theory, survival of the fittest goes for helmets too. 



In the car on the way home, both boys asked when they could go back, hornets and all.  I imagine that I'll be getting on a horse again whether I'm ready or not. 

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment