Monday, August 8, 2011

Freedom

Ah, the freedom! I'm not sure if I'm thinking about my own freedom or that of my ten-year-old boy. Nick and Adrian are with me at Wild Waves. Yup, it really is hard to make your season passes count, especially during a summer that has had so few days above 75 degrees. We came today even though it's just 73 degrees and the boys are chilled. I'm fine, but then again, I'm not wet.

I'm sitting on a lounge chair overlooking the wave pool. The boys went on as many dry rides as Adiran could muster. His stomach got touchy and then Nick and I went on the wooden roller coaster. I love this coaster, a classic.  I didn't like leaving Adrian alone, even for the few minutes it took. Did I mention that there are hardly any lines for anything, so we were quick. Adrian was right where we left him and then I got settled into my lounge chair and they've gone to slide the tubes.

Now, I'm happpy to be sitting here, reading 'A Bad Day for Sorry' by Sophie Littlefield. This is her first book and I'm really loving it! It isn't your usual crime novel. I'm glad because I'm not a typical crime-novel girl. The main character is a woman who got sick of being hit and took care of her husband, with a pipe wrench! From there, she got the rep and women all over the state of Missouri started coming to her for help. Like I said while leaning back in my lounge chair with the book in my lap, "Ah."

See, Nick and I set up new rules for them. I am the anchor and they check in with me so that I know they are always together and I know just where they are if I need them. They get a dose of independence and I get to read my funny novel.

We came last week with Nick's friend Cole and it didn't work at all. Cole ditched Nick at the Lazy River so he could run some tubes. We went home immediately after that and we didn't ask Cole back this week. Adrian and Nick are doing great. They know that the only reason I bought them Dippin' Dots is because they're living up to their newfound privileges and responsibilities. And did I mention the time I'm getting to hang out and read my book?

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment