Friday, March 4, 2011

Sitting at the Computer For Too Long

So, it's true. I got here by accident. That's okay, because I've got things to say to you. Unfortunately for you, whatever I have to say isn't important, so if you're looking for important information, try again bucko.

I was actually trying to get to a friend's blog. She writes beautifully - Musings from the Farm. Check it out. It's like poetry. Trying to get there, I ended up here. That's how good I am with my computer, but I was sugar deprived and the boys got home from school and were showing me what they looked like with their eyes rolled back in their heads. Man, that is gross! They looked like zombies. Then I hear "Don't put me on facebook!" Okay, but I might end up putting you in my blog by accident.

So here I am with my very own blog. What right do I have, you say, to write a blog? Well, I was an engineer in a previous life. I can direct you to one of my favorite engineering writers, Henry Petroski. My favorite of his books is the one on how things fail, 'To Engineer Is Human.' I was also a technical writer in a previous life. You do not want to read any of my technical writing. Did you ever work for the FAA? If you did, you might have read something like I wrote. Okay, so the FAA guys really did read our stuff. Does that make you feel safer in the air? I hope so. There are a butt-load of documents for everything from carpet to rivet materials that run past the FAA. Those guys don't miss a thing. It drove us all crazy, but it keeps the important things in the air.

I 'stay at home' after an illustrious career as an engineer-turned-technical writer. Okay, I'm not illustrious, but I did have a design in orbit. Was I supposed to say that? Crap, I wasn't supposed to say that. Ignore that.

Okay, so I don't have any credentials. I volunteer at school and for Cub Scouts. Should we talk about the school bond that failed to achieve the required 60% by ONE vote??????? You don't want to hear my opinion about that. Let's just say that stacking the kids into separate time-slots, early and late, is not a solution to overcrowded schools. Do you want to be meeting your kid's bus at 3:45 on a Saturday? I think not.

So, no job, no credentials (except for the design in orbit - did I mention that?), and no obvious talent. So why am I writing this blog?

I got a case of low-blood sugar and here I am. 'Why not?' I think. 'My audience doesn't have anything better to do.'

So here's what I want to write about:

Books I love (Indian Creek Chronicles by Pete Fromm)
Problems raising kids (everything is about bodily fluids)
Trying to find the spirit in things (even the laundry?)
Grandma's garden (not MY garden, unless you like blackberry, morning glory, and stinky Bob)
The day I almost died in Mrs. Wampler's 7th grade geometry class
George
The cat on the Ghetto box

That's a beginning. So tune in next week for the continuing story of why the cat went for the ghetto box. (He was not in trouble. I try to never yell at ghetto kitty. He's sick. He pukes every day, sometimes twice a day. He has an expiration date, just so's you know.)

Thank you for listening. jb

No comments:

Post a Comment