Sunday, July 5, 2015

When Hot Isn't So Hot

I have become a Weather Channel addict. Right now, in my neighborhood, it informs me that it is 87 degrees Fahrenheit. It is supposed to get up to 96 degrees before the day is done. More than twice a day, in this heat, I'm checking The Weather Channel.

I'm dying here, wilting, liquifying. It's going to be 96 today!

Some of you might be used to Celsius. That's 35.5. A few days ago, the Weather channel said we were supposed to be over 100 degrees..... Fahrenheit. I've figured it out, just now. Finally, something about Fahrenheit makes sense.

So, Celsius is more organized. It's linked to the rest of the metric system. It is based on water, freezes at 0 degrees Celsius and boils at 100. Logical. I like to think that Spock would have been a fan of the metric system.

Fahrenheit, on the other hand, seems to be more related to human capacity. At 0 degrees Fahrenheit, humans are pretty uncomfortably cold. At 100 degrees, we're uncommonly warm. We don't make sense even in Fahrenheit because if we did, we'd be perfectly comfortable at 50 degrees. Bummer. We don't make it to comfortable until about 70. Why can't we be consistent?

Because we're human.

So, if anyone tells me that we're going to change to the metric system and we have to learn what 35.5 feels like and remember that we can complain then, I'll be ready to go. And I'll try to remember that I can survive below zero if it's Celsius. Won't that be a hoot? Some of us suggestive types might just get hypothermia in our jackets at 0 degrees Celsius and die just because it sounds so incredibly cold.

But I'd manage after a while and some close calls with forgetting my jacket. And really, 35.5 just doesn't seem all that hot right now. Maybe it makes sense to change in the summer then the climate change record heat won't seem so bad.

Thank you for listening, jb

No comments:

Post a Comment